Appropriate internships require students to apply the skills of communicating with others in interpersonal, organizational, and/or public settings. Internships involving marketing, public relations, human resources, group facilitation, or any job that utilizes training in communicating with others would be suitable. Interns are required to work a minimum of 160 hours during the semester (average of 10 hours per week) per three units of ASU credit (160 hrs. = three units; 320 hrs. = six units). Interns are not required to be paid for their internship, but paid internships tend to attract more students.
The Internship Program does not place interns with sponsoring organizations, or vice versa. If an organization is interested in sponsoring interns on a continuing basis, that organization’s Application for Internship Approval will be made available to students seeking an internship. Students who are interested in the internship will then contact that organization directly.
Requirements for Sponsoring Organizations
In order to post a position to students in the Hugh Downs School please:
- Email a brief job description to Dr. Dybvig-Pawelko at Kristin.Dybvig-Pawelko@asu.edu
- We will contact you via email after we have reviewed the description (this can take between two and five weeks). If the proposed internship duties are acceptable, we will post them on our website. Please be advised that some adjustments may be necessary.
- Interns will contact you directly about your internship opportunity. Interns seek internships before each semester (i.e., during the month before the fall, spring, and summer semesters).
- Interview internship applicants.
- Once you have hired an intern, they will bring you some additional paperwork items to complete. Please complete these in a timely manner. If you would like to see these items before posting a job description, Dr. Dybvig-Pawelko would be happy to provide them for you.
If you have hired an internship student and are looking for the paperwork to complete, please ask the student for the items from our internal website.
If you have any questions, please contact Kristin Dybvig-Pawelko via the following methods:
Office: Stauffer Hall 306A