Is this your first year at ASU?
First-year students (not including new transfer students or online students) receive advising support in Armstrong Hall.
The Hugh Downs School of Human Communication is committed to your success as a student at ASU and beyond. Our academic advisors help students successfully transition to the university and make progress towards their educational goals and graduation. We provide academic advising on a scheduled appointment basis Monday through Friday.
ASU Online students:
Please note that the online scheduling system only shows available appointments over the next two weeks. If you see a message saying that no appointments are available, this means that all appointments are currently full. Please return to the scheduling system the next business day to see additional appointments.
Meeting with Your Advisor
In your meetings with your advisor, you will identify academic and career goals, create and implement plans and assume responsibility for your education. You should meet with your advisor at least once per semester.
PLEASE NOTE: When you schedule your appointment, please include the following in the Notes section:
- Your phone number
- The reason(s) for your appointment
Please include your 10-digit ASU ID number in all email exchanges
Appointments cannot be scheduled by phone or e-mail.
If you have quick questions, please e-mail email@example.com and we will respond as soon as possible. If you need more in-depth advice, please schedule an appointment.
When you have a scheduled appointment time, instead of calling the Hugh Downs School office (480-965-5095) for your appointment, your advisor will be calling you.
Make sure you have your phone available at the time of your appointment.
For drop/add dates, please see the Academic Calendar or your MyASU.
Course Override (pre-requisite not met) requests:
Overrides will only be considered for COM courses offered through The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Override requests will not be considered after the drop/add period for that session (A, B, or C) has ended. For drop/add dates, please see the Academic Calendar or your MyASU.
Some reminders and online resources:
- Academic tutoring is now available for COM classes.
- Be aware of the courses you have already taken, especially transferred courses, so you do not duplicate coursework. Visit the articulation website for the Transfer Credit Guide (TCG).
- General information for transfer students.
- Review your DARS report, accessible through MyASU. Instructions to run DARS.
- If you need assistance, please call (480)965-5095 or come to the school's office in Stauffer Hall, 412. Stauffer Hall is located on the northwest part of the Tempe campus, south of University Drive and just east of Myrtle Avenue. Metered parking is available on Myrtle south of University or in visitor parking lots 18 or 20 at the southeast corner of University Drive and Mill Avenue. (map and parking) The main entrance to Stauffer Hall on campus is off Forest Mall.